Monday, January 26, 2009

Washington DC
























































Okay...it will take me a while to type this but here goes! My sis-in-law Diane and I went to D.C. for the inauguration because my daughter Melody was invited as part of the collegiate honor society. We didn't see Mel the whole time b/c she was with her group so we had our own fun! To let you know we didn't even know who would be running for Pres when we booked everything so to be there when history was being made was indescribable. The energy in the air was electric, to say the least. Everyone was so friendly and hopeful and excited. I will admit I got emotional a few times. It was freezing the whole time, especially for a southern girl...even with two pair of thermals on, hat, ear muffs, 2 pair of socks, gloves, toe and hand warmers, oh, and a big ole coat! STILL froze! So, we walked around everywhere and took it all in but actually watched the inauguration from the warmth of our hotel room while enjoying room service! Yes, you may call me high maintainance! The night before we attended a party at the home of the national director for adoption and foster care. She is the sister of a dear friend. It was a great time. The night of the inauguration Diane and I went to the Southern States Ball which was one of the official balls. Everyone was absolutely gorgeous there. VP Biden and wife Jill showed up first, talked to everyone and had a dance. Then Pres Obama and Michelle came by and did the same. It was very cool seeing them. I took tons of pictures and hope to post them on here later today. Anyway, the story you have all been waiting for...We were leaving the ball at about 1:30am, trying to catch the last Metro rail to our hotel. It was held at the National Guard Armory so right outside were these speedbump looking contraptions. The back bottom of my dress caught on the corner of it, which I did not know. After a few steps my dress pulled tight and i fell forward, didn't trip, went horizontal, and landed flat on my front. I couldn't move my arm b/c of my dress pulling so tight so I fell on it. Many came to my rescue but my embarrassment said I was fine. Well, until about 15 seconds later and the pain hit. I knew my arm was broken! They wheeled me back to 1st aid, put a splint on while I was sobbing and took me to the hospital by ambulance. They gave me morphine to examine it and more to xray it...screamed and sobbed the whole time! I broke the radial head, which is where it goes into my elbow and did who knows what to my wrist. Tomorrow I find out if I have to have surgery on it. We had no idea where we were so the amazing nurse Peg took us back to our hotel. We left the hospital about 8am that morning. It was a very long night. We slept a couple hours, got up and packed and were the last ones on our 2pm flight home! I'm getting pretty good with my left hand but am so frustrated most of the time. I don't sleep well at night and need a serious massage and adjustment! But, there you have it. My long but actually short story!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you were able to have this historical experience. I am sorry you fell and had it end in such a traumatic way. Way to go Diane for snapping pics. A women after my own heart. Love you and take care of that arm.